If you’ve seen my previous posts on Discord / here, you’ll already be aware that the firmware shipped with the first few EasyPiezi sensors had a small bug with a big impact. One byte difference caused the EEPROM to effectively be disabled. The fix is already uploaded to the GitHub Repo, but what about all of the sensors in my inventory?
Well the TL’DR version is my original programming jig has some apparent issues preventing me from utilizing it, and a new set of blank PCB’s is on the way, should be arriving Aug 10th, with which I’ll be able to reprogram the boards before shipping.
Why don’t I have a spare programmer you ask? Well that’s the long version. When COVID19 hit, I had to choose what to bring home and what to leave at my lab, as I was going into self-isolation. I brought a bunch of tools and testers and my bin of blank PCB’s for building spares.
What happened then? Basically nothing for almost 3 months as I was waiting for the production boards to come through. I put the bin with those spare PCB’s somewhere really safe. So safe, in fact, that I can no longer find it. So I’ve put in an order with JLCPCB who did all of my prototypes prior to getting assembled boards, and I’ve gotten a shipping notification that they’ll be arriving this coming Monday. After that I should be able to knock together a couple of programmers and get to work on updating the existing stock of boards.
Regarding the other issue identified (EasyPiezi’s overheating when run at 24v), there’s been some interesting developments on that front. My beta testers and early have performed tests on a few different units and there’s been little consistency in results. Some of the sensor boards are not heating up beyond warm to the touch, some are getting too warm to comfortably hold, but are otherwise working normally, and a few are burning out the voltage regulator at 24v. I haven’t yet nailed down the root cause of this yet, but I suspect either manufacturing mistakes or possibly the voltage regulators themselves aren’t as consistent as they should be. I’ll be doing extensive testing to find the problem and fix it for v2.3.1.
You must log in to post a comment.